7 Ways to Improve Communication Skills
July 12, 2022
Good communication skill helps us to convey our message to others without any hindrances. Moreover, it can improve our relationships with others in both professional and personal life. Thus, learning effective communication skills will help us achieve positive results in all aspects of our life.
Communication can be of 3 types – verbal, non-verbal, and written. Learning to excel in all of them is no rocket science. All you need to do is to learn some methods and practice them well. Without practice, you cannot improve your communication skills.
In this article, we will show you how you can communicate effectively by applying some easy tips.
7 Ways to Improve Communication Skills
Learn Active Listening Skills
One of the best ways to improve your communication skills in the case of oral communication is to be an active listener. In order to be an active listener, you need to learn some listening skills. These are:
- Undivided attention to the speaker.
- Asking open-ended questions to know what the speaker wants to convey.
- Asking probing questions to get a better idea of the topic being discussed.
- Paraphrasing what the speaker has said to make sure you have got them correct.
- Summarize what you have understood.
Improve Non-verbal Communication
Non-verbal communication plays a significant role in conveying your message to your listeners. Follow these simple tips to improve non-verbal communication:
- Make an eye-contact while speaking.
- Make sure your body posture is giving a positive vibe to your audience.
- Use gestures with your hands and face while talking.
- Adjust your tone of voice as per the subject, occasion, and audience.
- Look for non-verbal signals in your listeners that might give you an idea of their intentions.
- Keep your spine straight, shoulders back, and weight on both feet.
- Keep yourself in control and show confidence in your voice and body language.
- Adjust your non-verbal signals, especially body language as per the audience and situation (for example, your body language with friends will differ from the one with your subordinates).
- Avoid fidgeting while speaking.
Improve Verbal Communication
It is the most important part of effective communication skills. You can be a great orator if you know the art of what to say and how to say it. Here are some simple tips to improve verbal communication skills:
- Keep your thoughts organized.
- Understand and stick to the purpose of your speech.
- Study your listeners before speaking.
- Think before you speak.
- Avoid fillers like ‘um’ and ‘uh’, etc.
- Keep your pitch lower.
- Pause in between your sentences to catch the listener’s reaction.
- Change your speed, style, and tone to keep the listeners engaged.
- Learn to use idioms, phrases, and phrasal verbs if you are speaking in English.
Improve Written Communication
Written communication is one of the most vital aspects of communication. We tend to use this type of communication a lot in our personal, professional, and academic life. Here are some tips to improve written communication:
- Never forget to add a subject line to your emails.
- Try to use a more active voice.
- Avoid sending a message when you are sad, annoyed, or upset.
- Make sure to keep your message short, simple, and easy to read.
- Make sure you have set the right tone for your message.
- Avoid making spelling and grammatical errors.
- Make good use of bullet points and paragraphs to make your message appear less lengthy.
- Proofread before sending the message.
Provide Negative Information Positively
One of the challenges in communication is to present negative news or information or feeling. You need to be extra careful while handling a situation like this. Here are some tips you need to follow:
- Keep yourself calm and poised.
- Do not respond to any reaction from the listeners.
- Avoid adding any personal comments on anyone.
- Be direct and firm while conveying the message.
- Be honest and share your views or suggestions.
- If you are sharing feedback about anyone, then make sure to provide constructive criticism.
Hold a Positive Attitude and Stand Confident
To communicate effectively, you need to let go of your inhibitions, fear, prejudices, and any negative thoughts. You need to make sure that you are positive about your life and your thoughts. The more optimistic you are in your beliefs and values, the more confident you will appear in front of others. So, develop good virtues and live a positive life.
One of the essential points in improving communication skills is to practice as much as you can. As you have read all the points mentioned above, it’s time to put those into practice. Start preparing yourself for verbal and written communication. Also, apply the tips mentioned here for non-verbal communication. Set aside specific time for practicing these skills with your family members. You can also practice by yourself in front of a mirror. Besides, try applying all the tips while speaking to someone on a daily basis. Slowly, it will turn into a habit and you will be able to communicate effectively without much effort.
We hope you will be able to improve your communication skills with our simple tips. Remember, the first step towards effective communication skills is the willpower to master the art. If you have enough of it, nothing can stop you from communicating effectively in life.
How to improve communication skills
Effective communication skills
How to communicate effectively
Benyam Gizaw is the brain behind the online tutoring app, My Tutor. His role includes taking initiative in launching the app, leading the marketing, and operations team. He is a super-optimistic and motivating thought leader who believes that knowledge has more power than anything else in this world. His mission is to create equal opportunity for receiving a proper education for all. This simple idea of spreading education globally has given birth to one of the most user-friendly educational apps.
In his own words, “Knowledge is the key to live a meaningful and fulfilling life. My Tutor is the first step towards fulfilling this mission.”
As a result-oriented, self-driven, and super-enthusiastic thought leader, he firmly believes that one can achieve his goal if he is consistent in his field of expertise and is ready to take chances in life. This positive approach towards life and work has made Benyam a unique personality. He continues to motivate his team members to give their best.