40 Badass Latin Phrases for Creating Impression
January 09, 2023
If you have been longing to learn famous Latin phrases, you have come to the right place. But before we take you to the phrases, let’s know why Latin phrases are so popular worldwide!
Why Does Everyone Want to Learn Famous Latin Phrases?
One may wonder why everyone wants to learn Latin since it is a dead language. Although Latin is no longer in use, learning the language has its advantages.
Latin significantly impacted the English language and contributed numerous words to its vocabulary. Latin is part of the Italic branch of the Indo-European languages. Almost two-thirds of English words have Latin roots. That makes it easier to understand English vocabulary and the meaning and structure of English words, particularly those that are longer and more complex.
Like learning arithmetic and studying Latin, a highly structured and logical language, it improves mental acuity, alertness, keener attention to detail, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. Besides, Latin is the language used to express the most progressive ideas in the western world; learning it helps students better understand the present and, in turn, develop a deeper awareness of a wide range of facets of our lives and culture. Your horizons will undoubtedly expand if you learn the language or some cool Latin words. Besides, learning phrases in Latin will make you more interested in the language.
40 Badass Latin Phrases and Their Meanings
- Vincit qui se vincit – He conquers who conquers himself.
- Alea iacta est – The die has been cast.
- Carthago delenda est – Carthage must be destroyed.
- Mater semper certa est – The mother is always certain.
- Non ducor, duco – I am not led, I lead
- Veni, vidi, vici – I came, I saw, I conquered
- Acta non verba – Deeds, not words
- Melita, domi adsum! – Honey, I’m home!
- Fons vitae caritas – Love is the fountain of life.
- Sequere pecuniam – Follow the money.
- Hodie mihi, cras tibi – Today it’s me, tomorrow it will be you.
- Deus ex machina – God from the machine
- Quid pro quo – Something for something
- Humilitas occidit superbiam – Humility conquers pride.
- Grandescunt aucta labore – With hard work, all things increase and grow.
- Castigat ridendo mores – Laughing corrects morals.
- Ex nihilo nihil fit – Nothing comes from nothing.
- Plenus venter non studet libenter – A full belly does not like studying.
- Pecunia non olet – Money doesn’t smell.
- Surdo oppedere – To belch before the deaf.
- Risus abundat in ore stultorum – Laughter is abundant in the mouth of fools.
- Aut Caesar aut nihil – Either Caesar or nothing.
- Amor et melle et felle est fecundissimus – Love is rich with honey and venom.
- In absentia lucis, tenebrae vincunt – In the absence of light, darkness prevails.
- Calamus gladio fortiori – The pen is mightier than the sword.
- Tempora mutantur et nos mutamur in illis – The time are changing, and we change in them.
- Non loqui sed facere – No talk but action.
- Igne natura renovatur integra – Through fire, nature is reborn whole.
- Bono malum superate – Overcome evil with good.
- Incepto ne desistam – May I not shrink from my purpose.
- Praesis ut prosis ne ut imperes – Lead in order to serve, not in order to rule.
- Magna est vis consuetudinis – Great is the power of habit.
- Oderint dum metuant – Let them hate so long as they fear.
- Necessitas etiam timidos fortes facit – Need makes even the timid brave.
- Verba volant, sed scripta manent – Spoken words fly away, but written words remain.
- Barba non facit philosophum – A beard doesn’t make one a philosopher.
- Astra inclinant, sed non obligant – The stars incline us, they do not blind us.
- Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc – After this, therefore on account of it.
- In Vino Veritas – There is truth in Wine.
- Faber est suae quisque fortunae – Every man is the artisan of his fortune.
If you want to learn a language better, you can look for online Latin lessons. It may be everywhere, from phrases on dollar bills to everyday words like bachelor, AM, and PM. Understanding Latin will help you better comprehend the history and culture of your surroundings. In that way, it can also help you broaden your knowledge. Besides, learning some famous Latin phrases will surely help you create an impression on your friends.